Saturday, September 6, 2014

Crumbs to Orphans?

My newest blocks! 
My husband looked a bit dubious when I told him I was going to organize the craft room, especially when I pulled out a crate of fabric scraps and proceeded to empty it's contents in the living room to sort them into sandwich baggies by color. But when I started to sew them into wonky quilt blocks using Angela's (non-wonky) tutorials from her rainbow scrap quilt along his suspicions were confirmed, nothing was actually going to get organized. 
Fortunately my husband thinks my blocks are kind of cool and forgives the random pieces of thread that I've started to leave in my wake. But, then he asked me if I was actually going to DO something with them...errrr maybe?  I could be creating a bunch of orphans from all these crumbs! (Quilters have the best terminology!) Angela has a plan for all these blocks at the end of the scrap-along, but I'm afraid mine will probably not work in the layout.  Now, not wanting to be socially irresponsible by abandoning a bunch of orphans that I created, I searched for a home to happily place them in, which is how I found Rosemary's scrappy orphan quilt-along. 
It was serendipitous, but left me with another problem, what would I use for the center medallion? So more searching led to this,
which has become this... 


2 comments:

  1. What a lot of fun! Such a great thought to combine two different quilt-a-longs to make a quilt just your way. Hope you do get your sewing room organized along the way. If not, at least you will have a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool quilt idea! A quilt of orphan blocks. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete